Our broad expertise in advising charities, social enterprises, staff led mutuals, and other not for profit organisations (including membership bodies and trade associations), enables us to provide pragmatic and proactive advice to the sector as a whole. We are committed to continuing to develop our services to meet the changing needs of the sector.
Our team has worked with those operating within this sector for many years and advises on all aspects from start-up options and legal structures, to expansion, reorganisation and collaborations. Our aim is always to assist clients to maximise their impact and become more efficient.
We have a dedicated national team operating across the firm’s five offices in London, Harrogate, Manchester, Newcastle and Southampton. Our clients range from household names to start-ups and from National and regional organisations to local groups.
We are kept at the forefront of changes and influences in the sector by operating at research and policy level with specialist umbrella bodies, often acting as thought leaders on innovative developments. Sharing the knowledge gained from our partnerships and wide range of clients, we work with clients at a strategic level to find ways to make their plans happen, and help them appraise opportunities from recent developments and government policy.
Sharing the knowledge gained from our partnerships and wide range of clients, we work with clients at a strategic level to find ways to make their plans happen, and help them appraise opportunities from recent developments and government policy.
Our national free seminar programme, bespoke in-house training, as well as more generic training sessions on a wide range of topical issues are well attended and valued by our clients and contacts. The team are also regularly invited to speak at external conferences and events.
Hempsons run the following free helplines:
• Social Enterprise UK legal advice line
• social care legal advice line
• registrations of charities and social enterprises
• incorporation and conversion of existing charities
• set up of public services mutuals
• charity, company, Community Interest Company
and Community Benefit Society regulation
• Royal Charter corporations
• collaborations and mergers
• governance reviews and training
• fundraising and income generation
• grants and Social Finance
• procurement and commissioning
• employment and equality and diversity
• intellectual property and technology
• real estate
• projects and construction
• information governance